Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Assignment 2: Final Images

 
Composition: I wanted a straight on angle with high contrast between the words and myself with lighting focused on myself as well. I believe this helped emphasize what or who I truly am.

Concept, Method & Motivation: Since this was a portrait series I wanted to portray who I really was. However, I didn’t want to convey who I truly was. I wanted the viewer to figure it out. I wanted a slow shutter to capture two bodies which would represent differences. I wanted to do this because a photograph can reveal who or what someone is. However, a photograph may not always be telling the truth.

Context: I’m not sure if my work relates to other photographers work but my main goal was to reveal a photograph, if taken at the right moment and framed correctly, can give false information or information which one truly does not know about.

Interpretation: Students saw this as a questions of who I am or who someone really is in self portraits. The play with two of me and the text helped emphasize this idea. 

Evaluation: Students mentioned everything was working well together in the photograph. Some who had seen the photo before its final state suggested the wood grain took away from the photo, but decided in the final it was working. I would choose a different background if shot again. 

Extension: Since this a mini-series itself, it would be interesting to expand it to a larger project. Maybe incorporate other people. Maybe try to find truth in people.


Composition: I wanted to get an extreme close-up of the eyes with a look of uncertainty and lighting which looked natural.  These elements, along with high contrast helped convey who I am or who I am not.

Concept, Method & Motivation: The idea behind this photo was to have the viewer feel closer to me which would result in a better understanding of who I am or who I am not. I knew I wanted a look of uncertainty and also knew I didn’t want the whole face lit. Again, I wanted to find a little about myself but also reveal to the viewer a photograph can reveal truths or lies.

Context: Since this a little mini-series of photos the context of this photo is the same as all the others.

Interpretation: One student saw this as an original and unusual pose or look. It's a look we make everyday but one in which is never or rarely captured. This pose/look helped emphasize my overall theme.

Evaluation: Students gave positive feedback overall, but one student suggested to lighten the left eye a little more. They felt it was a little dark and took away from the closeness. I agree.

Extension: Working off the students comments, it would be interesting to try and capture people up close and personal with poses/looks that are rarely captured or seen in photos but are displayed on a daily basis.

 
Composition: I wanted to use a high angle to convey a struggle of power and an expression of little emotion.

Concept, Method & Motivation: In this particular image I wanted to convey a sense of simplicity.  But I wanted the expression to reveal something more. Again, I wanted to use natural lighting and also wanted to keep the clothing and background simple so the focus stayed on my face. Photographs can reveal a struggle in power if taken at a high angle. I wanted to convey this to show I and everyone can and will struggle with power.

Context: Again, this photo reveals false or true information.

Interpretation: Most saw this photo having a different emotion or feeling which added to the overall theme.

Evaluation: One student mentioned either having a dramatic change from the light to dark or vise-versa. I believe this would take away from the rest of the images. I would crop or get closer to the subject to be more similar to the other photos.

Extension: I'm not sure what I could do as larger project but I would still go in the direction of using other people.    


Composition: I wanted this photo to be centered with most of the light on the face to emphasize the expression.

Concept, Method & Motivation: The idea here was to reveal a sense of anger or a sense of the subject not being listened to. It is open for interpretation. As with all the others I wanted to use natural lighting to help convey the truth or lies. Again, with this expression the viewer can take several things from it. However, whether or not what the take from it is the truth is unknown.

Context: True or false?

Interpretation: Others saw this as intense and emotional. An "in your face" feeling. They believed it added to the overall theme very well.

Evaluation: No one had anything negative or improvements to be made but I would make it so the lighting was balanced throughout the face and have the lighting around the edge of my face balanced as well.

Extension: I would attempt to capture close-ups of facial expressions which are unsettling or difficult to look at. 



No comments:

Post a Comment